
For our generation this is the first event that will forever stick in our heads. All of us can remember where we were when we first heard about the attacks. We can remember who we were with and how we felt when we found out what had happened.
I remember being at school (red river high school). It was a Tuesday during my senior year. I came to school in such a good mood. It was my boyfriend's (now husband's) 18th birthday. I took a long time to choose my clothes for the day and met him at our usual table in the morning before school started. I wished him a happy birthday and sent him off to class. I had an early morning prep period. A group of us were sitting around a table in the commons area and saw the office get all busy and stressed. We watched to see what was going on and overheard a teacher saying that a plane had hit a downtown NYC building. Everything was so new and we didn't really hear anything else. I called my mom from the school phone to see what she knew and she had told me that 2 planes had flown into the World Trade Center in NYC. She didn't know anything else and said things were crazy and there was talk of shutting down the city offices and she had to go. I said I love you and we hung up.
My 3rd period class started at 10am with Mr. Carney in AP Psychology. We had a test scheduled, or as Mr. Carney called it "a celebration of knowledge" He had the TV on in the classroom and my seat was in the 2nd row directly in front of it. It was the first time I had seen any news coverage of the attacks and it was the first time they were mentioning that it was being called a terrorist attack. Mr. Carney muted the TV and we took our test. Midway through the class we watched the 2nd tower collapse. The rest of the day was mainly a blur. The next thing I really remember is going over to Eric's house that night to spend some time with him. I didn't even bring his gift along and we didn't go out to eat. We sat downstairs with his parents and watched the coverage of the attacks. It was a very surreal day. I can only imagine what everyone who was directly affected went through during the days and weeks that followed.
Friday September 14th, Red River had a football game. Everyone was wearing red, white and blue everywhere you went. Before the game we had a moment of silence and the singing group the Velvatones, that I was a member of, sang God Bless America and the National Anthem. I remember singing with the girls and looking up to a flawless blue sky. It was an incredible moment, one I will never forget. Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Where were you when the world stopped turning on that September day?
Were you in the yard with your wife and children
Or working on some stage in L.A.?
Did you stand there in shock at the sight of that black smoke
Risin' against that blue sky?
Did you shout out in anger, in fear for your neighbor
Or did you just sit down and cry?
Did you weep for the children who lost their dear loved ones
And pray for the ones who don't know?
Did you rejoice for the people who walked from the rubble
And sob for the ones left below?
Did you burst out in pride for the red, white and blue
And the heroes who died just doin' what they do?
Did you look up to heaven for some kind of answer
And look at yourself and what really matters?
I'm just a singer of simple songs
I'm not a real political man
I watch CNN but I'm not sure I can tell
you the difference in Iraq and Iran
But I know Jesus and I talk to God
And I remember this from when I was young
Faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us
And the greatest is love
Where were you when the world stopped turning on that September day?
Were you teaching a class full of innocent children
Or driving down some cold interstate?
Did you feel guilty 'cause you're a survivor
In a crowded room did you feel alone?
Did you call up your mother and tell her you loved her?
Did you dust off that Bible at home?
Did you open your eyes, hope it never happened
Close your eyes and not go to sleep?
Did you notice the sunset the first time in ages
Or speak to some stranger on the street?
Did you lay down at night and think of tomorrow
Or go out and buy you a gun?
Did you turn off that violent old movie you're watchin'
And turn on "I Love Lucy" reruns?
Did you go to a church and hold hands with some strangers
Did you stand in line and give your own blood?
Did you just stay home and cling tight to your family
Thank God you had somebody to love?
Where were you when the world stopped turning that September day?
Were you in the yard with your wife and children
Or working on some stage in L.A.?
Did you stand there in shock at the sight of that black smoke
Risin' against that blue sky?
Did you shout out in anger, in fear for your neighbor
Or did you just sit down and cry?
Did you weep for the children who lost their dear loved ones
And pray for the ones who don't know?
Did you rejoice for the people who walked from the rubble
And sob for the ones left below?
Did you burst out in pride for the red, white and blue
And the heroes who died just doin' what they do?
Did you look up to heaven for some kind of answer
And look at yourself and what really matters?
I'm just a singer of simple songs
I'm not a real political man
I watch CNN but I'm not sure I can tell
you the difference in Iraq and Iran
But I know Jesus and I talk to God
And I remember this from when I was young
Faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us
And the greatest is love
Where were you when the world stopped turning on that September day?
Were you teaching a class full of innocent children
Or driving down some cold interstate?
Did you feel guilty 'cause you're a survivor
In a crowded room did you feel alone?
Did you call up your mother and tell her you loved her?
Did you dust off that Bible at home?
Did you open your eyes, hope it never happened
Close your eyes and not go to sleep?
Did you notice the sunset the first time in ages
Or speak to some stranger on the street?
Did you lay down at night and think of tomorrow
Or go out and buy you a gun?
Did you turn off that violent old movie you're watchin'
And turn on "I Love Lucy" reruns?
Did you go to a church and hold hands with some strangers
Did you stand in line and give your own blood?
Did you just stay home and cling tight to your family
Thank God you had somebody to love?
Where were you when the world stopped turning that September day?
--Alan Jackson
No comments:
Post a Comment