Our Family of Five

Our Family of Five

Happy as a Clam--Steele Fam


Monday, January 23, 2012

my love/hate relationship with weaning....

So I'm at it again... almost ready to completely wean my sweet baby boy. I can't believe it's about that time again. I've decided to dedicate this post to my love/hate relationship with weaning.

First the hates:
1. the feeling of it...until you get used to the time changes and gaps, it gets a little uncomfortable.
2. feeling guilty the first time your little one realizes that you are depriving him of his favorite activity. (in my case this happened after day 3 of skipping the after school feeding, when sweet little Nolan walked up to me holding the boppy pillow. Then shortly after found the nursing shawl and brought that as well.)
3. weight stops falling off. then you realize if you had just exercised a little more, you would be that much smaller once the weaning ends.
4. no longer able to pop it out and get him back to sleep in the middle of the night.
5. no longer able to pop it out after having shots at a doctor appointment to make him feel better.
6. no longer having free food at his disposal.
7. a tiny little toddler pulling at your shirt during church (or anywhere) and saying mama...mama....mil mil (milk, milk) yikes...embarassing.
8. diapers getting more and more stinky
9. missing the cuddling/quiet time that's just for us
10. I'm sure I could keep going....... but I'm out for now.

Now the Loves:
1. knowing that I made it over a year and never gave my baby formula (more so did not ever have to pay for formula. pretty sure I would have needed a 2nd job to pay for it)
2. BEING DONE PUMPING at work!
3. in response to #2 on the list.....getting my prep time back at school
4. in response to #2 on the list....getting my lunch time back at school
5. feeling like all my clothes got a little longer in the torso...in case you've never breast fed, I am eluding to the fact that my boobs are quite a bit smaller now. : - )
6. how cuddly Nolan is now
7. not wearing a bra to bed anymore
8. sharing my plate of food with Nolan. I always love this one after so many months of them staring at your food, they actually get to taste and get used to the things I love.
9. now I can have more than 1 glass of wine or one beer during dinner. whoooo hoooo...time to party!!!
10. I'm sure there's a million more, but the little munchkins are awakening from their mid afternoon slumbers and both are in need of extra cuddling time being they're both sick.

Despite all of my hates and the things I miss so much while breastfeeding, I would do it over and over again for any future children. It's an amazing bond and wonderful to know that I am the only one that can do this for my baby. Truly wonderful.

my fellow breast feeding mothers and their very understanding counterpart hubbies....what are your loves and hates of the weaning process? (I know I have a few more that are probably a little inappropriate for this list and the readers, but I'm sure you can use your imagination) ha ha

2 comments:

  1. Oh Jenny! How your post makes me laugh :) You are amazing for solely breastfeeding for as long as you did!! I will say, I'm not sure if my boobs shrunk or sagged... I'm leaning more towards the sagging :) I totally agree about the weight though!! Hope the kiddos are feeling better!! Yay for prep time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! Hmmmm...I don't know what I'd say exactly. I do know when I weaned Lily I was really sad on the last day I nursed her. Then I found out 3 days later that I was pregnant with Claire. I do love it and will miss it when I'm done having kiddos.

    ReplyDelete