Our Family of Five

Our Family of Five

Happy as a Clam--Steele Fam


Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Steele Trio becomes Steele Quad :-)




Well, we are at home and adjusting to life with 2 kiddos. It sure is busy, but so far we haven't had any major catastrophes, except for maybe the fact that our whole family has had the stomach bug flu over the past week.

Our past week has been a little crazy!
Mackenzie got sick last Tuesday on Grandma Thompson's birthday. I stayed home with her on wednesday and half of Thursday. Then Thursday night I got it. wow! 39 weeks pregnant and having that was not good. I started having contractions on Friday morning around 11 and they were stronger and closer together by 3pm. I couldn't tell if it was cramping from being sick or what was going on, but either way I couldn't even keep down water. We called the doctor and they wanted me to come in to see if it was true labor and they wanted to get me on an IV to get me some fluids. They told us that dehydration can cause contractions to start, but they could also go away once I was rehydrated.

When we got to the hospital at 6:30 I was dilated to 2 and after 2 hours of fluids I didn't change at all, so they sent us home. The contractions were still there and when we got in the car they got A LOT stronger. We were at home for 45 minutes and then went right back to the hospital. They checked me at 11:15 pm and I was at a 5. I got set up for an epidural right away! By the time the epidural was done at 1:15 am, I was at an 8. I was comfortable for about 45 minutes and then it was close to pushing time. I started pushing at 2:25 and baby Nolan was born at 2:42am. :-)
Overall it was much faster than Mackenzie, but I would never want to go through being that sick and then going right into labor. I hadn't eaten or drank anything in almost 40 hours.
I also had been missing out on a lot of sleep. Mackenzie kept me up on Wednesday night, I was up all night Thursday and Friday over night we had the baby. Yikes it was a rough week.

We stayed at the hospital until Monday afternoon and then came home to start settling in. Eric was up sick all monday night at home and it was a long night! Nolan didn't want to be set down at all and I had another completely sleepless night. Last night was great though. Eric was feeling better and Nolan had a great night. He slept for long stretches and fed really well.

Mackenzie is being a big helper, but when she's tired or hungry she gets really emotional. (don't we all??) She has been really great and we are excited to learn more about our new little guy. He's a sweetie :-)

Thanks for all the congrats, thoughts and prayers! Stay warm!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new addition! But so sorry you were all sick-doesn't make child birth any easier. You guys are sure troopers but what else could you do. Hope you all stay healthy now and get the rest that you need. What a beautiful baby boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you poor thing! How awful:( Sorry to hear that you were all so sick. I'm glad to hear that things are going well now though. He's just adorable!

    ReplyDelete